Friday, February 21, 2014

A Truly Horrific Story

A homeless man in a recyling bin is almost crushed to death in Dublin city centre.

You can't walk for ten minutes, or more likely five minutes, through Dublin city centre without coming across a homeless person. Sometimes, when I look out at the window of a bus to see someone sleeping in a doorway, I am struck by the realization that this is their whole reality. Not a traumatic event that happens one day and is remembered with shudders. Not an interval that has to be struggled through to get back to normal. But the reality of yesterday, today, and tomorrow, and all the days after that. But, when the bus passes on, I stop thinking about it.

2 comments:

  1. I must admit that I am reluctant to give money to people on the street as I'm never sure if they're genuinely homeless. I feel a bit bad about it, but I don't want to be giving money to someone who might be messing around either. It's sad what genuine homeless people have to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think we all have that same dilemma Antaine. Sometimes you have some idea from the person.

    ReplyDelete