Monday, August 21, 2017

Amoris Laetitia and the Catholic Faithful

Steve Ray is a Catholic apologist I rarely read, but I was intrigued to find this article on his website, regarding the whole Amoris Laetitia controversy.

It's an extraordinary thing. As far as I can see, there are virtually no major Catholic commentators who don't (to put it simply) agree with Cardinal Burke in this controversy. Edward Feser, George Weigel, Ross Douthat, Raymond Arroyo, Karl Keating, Fr. Dwight Longenecker, Steve Ray, the entire staff of the Catholic Herald in England....other commentators, such as Archbishop Robert Barron, have been noticeably quiet. Perhaps things are different in the non-Anglophone world. I don't know.

Of course, I'm not talking about publications such as America or the National Catholic Reporter. But they won't be happy until there are married lesbian bishops, so I think we can safely disregard them.

Mark Shea is almost the only Catholic pundit who has enthusiastically supported Amoris Laetitia, and criticized the dubia cardinals. And he's gone off the deep end, anyway. I forced myself to stop looking at his blog after a heated exchange in the comment box, where him and his fanboys said some nasty things about me. Then again, I did provoke it-- I chimed in on unrelated thread to tell Mr. Shea he'd lost the right to quote Chesterton, which he'd just done. He replied that he wasn't aware I was head of the Chesterton Quotations Licensing Bureau. Good one.

The funny thing is that the majority of Catholics seem blissfully unaware of this whole controversy. I envy them. Maybe it's best not to get worked up about it. What can the faithful do, except keep practicing their faith? As we delighted in saying in happier days, the Church is not a democracy. God help us.

5 comments:

  1. National Catholic Reporter not Register is the one I think you meant to write there. Sinéad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read an article somewhere, I forget where, pointing out how relatively few hierarchies have backed Pope Francis. Many loyal catholics are publically silent just like St Thomas More was prior to his trial. Francis does appear to be unhappy many clergy haven't embraced his agenda , he also has been unwilling ironically to listen or meet his official advisors - the college of cardinals. His inclusivity has been rather selective and he has suceeded in
    Undermining the morale of orthodox catholics already a minority within the church. One thing that really troubles me about Francis is how nasty his comments about his opponents are. I know of no pope in living memory with such appalling manners and disrespect to others .

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're obviously a Pelagian coprophagist!

    ReplyDelete