Sunday, November 27, 2016

Happy Feast Day of St. Sechnall!

As well as being the first day of Advent, today is the feast day of my name saint, St. Sechnaill (or Secundinus!), who may even have preceded St. Patrick's mission to Ireland.

You can read about him here, though much of the facts about his life are shrouded in the mists of history (delicious phrase).

Pray for me, St. Sechnaill! Ireland was pagan when you came here. It is worse than pagan now. Help me and all who profess faith in Christ  to rekindle the light of faith in this once-hallowed island!

I happen to read today, by complete coincidence, that the twenty-seventh day of November is also the day that the Blessed Virgin revealed the Miraculous Medal to St. Catherine Labouré. if Catholicism has done nothing else for me, it's given me a streak of Francophilia, after a lifetime of Francophobia. France makes sense when you think of it as 'the eldest daughter of the Church'.

No comments:

Post a Comment