Saturday, June 13, 2015

Almost a Quarter of a Million Pageviews!

I've just noticed that this blog now has 246,000 pageviews. Last month I had almost seven thousand pageviews. So presumably I should hit a quarter of a million some time next month.

I really don't know if this is anything to get excited about. Maybe it's just a function of how many posts I've got up, and how long the blog has been around. Maybe it's mostly webcrawlers and spambots. (I get a huge amount of spam comments, telling me that my posts are fastidious-- don't ask me why 'fastidious'-- and offering to introduce me to hot Russian girls. And I thought it was cold in Russia.)

But, what the heck. I'm going to be pleased (and grateful) about it anyway.

I'm rather sceptical about the statistics, but it's hard to gauge how many people are reading, or who is reading. I'm often surprised when somebody in 'real life' tells me that they read my blog.The fact that I don't get a huge amount of comments (though I really appreciate the comments I do get) used to make me assume there weren't so many people reading, but I see from elsewhere on the internet that people are surprisingly slow to comment. I often post on the Irish Catholic Forum, and those who post there regularly are constantly wondering why the number of readers outnumbers the number of participants by orders of magnitude.

I like the idea that, at any time of the day, somebody might be reading one of my essays or poems or stories.

Any way, many thanks to all those who formed part of that mighty flood of humanity, my quarter of a million guests! I will keep trying to be fastidious, although I must emphasise that I am not interested in Russian girls, hot or cold. Thanks all the same, though.

1 comment:

  1. Don't be too hurt Maolsheachlann. Spam can be awfully insulting, when it's not telling humourous stories.

    In regards to comments, there are times when I don't just because I don't know what to say. I would probably sound like an idiot if I commented for the sake of commenting.

    ReplyDelete