Sunday, April 26, 2015

Have you Ever Considered Becoming a Priest?

That is the question a priest suggested that his congregation might ask young men they know, yesterday evening. (And not-so-young men, he might have added, since middle-aged men also become priests. I've met some of them.)

Today is Vocations Sunday. The Mass was a vigil Mass on Saturday, in Merrion Road. It was a church I'd only been in once before, for a special Mass to mark the feast day of St. Josemaria Escriva. I had actually decided to pop in for a quick prayer, since my bus would not be arriving for a while. I noticed Mass was beginning and decided to stay for it-- even though I was running late and, as it turned out, the priest took it very, very slowly-- including a long, long homily.

He said many vocations are pursued because somebody asks this critical question.

So...do I have readers out there who are qualified for the priesthood, but have never thought about it? Well, think about it!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. Before Vatican II, when only a minority of young people in either jurisdiction in Ireland had the opportunity to go to secondary school. I would say that this was a question that many lads approaching their Leaving Cert or its equivalent in Northern Ireland, asked themselves.And there was a lot of moral support for those who decided to enter the seminary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's something I've thought about before, but not for the right reasons I don't think. Also, I don't think I have the people skills to be a priest. But i have thought about it a bit before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's good that you considered it anyway. I do think you need to have a definite vocation, though.

      Delete