Monday, June 2, 2014

Ask a Silly Question

Still reading the C.S. Lewis biography, The Authentic Voice. A mention of cherubs, and of Lewis's dislike for the chubby summer house sort of cherub, made me remember a conversation with a colleague many years ago, which memory made me laugh. I was writing a poem about cherubs at the time (not a promising subject, I know, but I fancied myself as an infinitely versatile poet back then). I asked my colleague what he thought about cherubs. After a moment's pause, he said: "I can take them or leave them."

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of my favourite quotation from Muriel Spark: "For those who like that kind of thing, that is the kind of thing they like."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to look up who Muriel Spark was! I've heard the quotation attributed to Abraham Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete