Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Parables are Not Always Metaphorical

Or again, what woman with ten drachmas would not, if she lost one, light a lamp and sweep out the house and search thoroughly till she found it? And then, when she had found it, call together her friends and neighbours, saying to them, "Rejoice with me, I have found the drachma I lost." (Luke 15:8-10)

This parable came to mind yesterday and the day before, when I thought I'd lost a thousand euro in prize bonds and couldn't find them anywhere. Then I discovered I'd put them away somewhere reasonably safe. They are now somewhere safer, believe you me. Praise God!

(A quick internet search reveals I probably could have just got the certificates replaced anyway. But I never expect things like that to be possible. Which might be why I'm so stern on callers-in to the library who just assume they can come in for free, students who just assume exceptions can be made, etc. etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment