Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Conflict Between Science and Religion...

...is a subject that absorbed almost all of my attention a few years ago, for a period of many months (at least), and one that holds next to no interest for me now.

I find science so boring that I would rather look through twenty albums of somebody's cat photos than read a book of popular science for its own sake. Nevertheless, one has to respect science's practical results and its predictive powers. Which I do, most reluctantly.

All you need to know about the conflict between science and religion is that there is no conflict. You might as well talk about the conflict between ballet and word processing, or the bitter feud between jam-making and synchronised swimming, or the no-holds-barred fight to the death between quantity surveying and needlepoint.

A good book to read is Modern Physics and Ancient Faith by the Catholic physicist Stephen M. Barr. The website Quodlibeta is also an eye-opener in many ways. I just read this article on that very website and I found it most enlightening.

Also, here are some interesting resources on near death experiences, telepathy, ESP and young Earth creationism.

(Calm down, I'm kidding.)

If that isn't enough faith and science stuff for you, The Iona Institute has a priest-physicist talking at the Davenport Hotel, Dublin, on the eighteenth of February. Admission is free. I won't be there.

And now I am going back to my happily non-scientific worldview.

No comments:

Post a Comment